Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my site and letting me share my love of pottery with you!

Questions or comments?
* click on "comments" found under each post, or
* click on "Email Chris" in the right column.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Lantern


I have the awesome honor of receiving a Nan & Jim McKinnell Scholarship to the Ceramics program at Arapahoe Community College for the 2013-2014 academic year.  

The McKinnells have made tremendous contributions to modern ceramics over the past fifty years. Their knowledge of technical aspects made them pioneers in the fields of glaze formulation and kiln design. Their generosity with information and their enthusiasm for ceramic art have made them beloved mentors and teachers of many aspiring potters and artists. The McKinnells have also met and interacted with the leading ceramic artists of their time - and of the twentieth century. 
- http://www.mckinnellceramics.com/career-history/

This lantern was the result of an assignment first semester from my instructor, well-known clay artist Robin Furuta and head of the ACC Ceramics program, for a handbuilt project to represent our passion.  My list of passions was so long, it was most difficult to choose.  But I love vines, and I love light, so the leaves on the carved vines represent many (and constantly growing) interests and passions.  And I love how the glaze reflects the light inside -- which I'm sorry that you can't see, because I neglected to bring a match to the photography room.  

No comments:

Post a Comment